Washington State DSHS Family Assessment Response Social Service Specialist 3 in Tumwater, Washington
DSHS Family Assessment Response Social Service Specialist 3 In-Training
Do you want to help families and communities safely care for their children?
Prevention is the best hope for reducing child abuse and neglect and improving the lives of children and families. Strengthening families and preventing child abuse requires a shared commitment of individuals and organizations in every community. This job focuses on establishing meaningful relationships with families and the communities around them. It empowers families to contribute to their own solutions and success.
Children's Administration is currently recruiting for a dynamic, motivated, and culturally competent Social Service Specialist with the Family Assessment Response Unit, located in the Tumwater office*. *
Family Assessment Response (FAR) provides an alternative response to investigating child maltreatment reports when the risk is low to moderate and investigative intervention is not required. FAR Social Service Specialists help connect families with appropriate services, support and community resources.
On a Regular Basis You'll
- Supervise placement while continuing to work with children and parents to resolve abuse/neglect issues, necessitating placement, in order to return the children to parents' care as soon as safety and adequacy of care are assured
- Develop effective partnerships with families, service providers and others to address primary safety and risk concerns through cultural competency and strength based communication
- Use Motivational Interviewing techniques with children and parents to gather information and build rapport with families
- Identify root circumstances within the family that led to the department referral and assist the family in addressing them as needed
- Help the family to identify cycles of maltreatment and utilize relapse prevention techniques
- Develop and update co-constructed plans with the family that target the primary area of safety and other child needs
- Develop skill-based individual and family level objectives
- Take additional action when needed to meet the needs of child safety, permanency and well-being
- Recognize and document incremental progress made by the family towards meeting the identified objectives/goals
Come join a new state agency to better serve at-risk children and youth, Department of Children, Youth and Families (DCYF). We're looking for professionals to join our team now, and make a difference in the lives of youth and their families.
*Here's Who We're Looking For: * Professionals who meet ONE of the following criteria:
- Twelve months as a Social Service Specialist 1 and completion of the agency's Social Service Specialist training program, OR
- Have a Bachelor's degree* and two years of paid social service experience, OR
- Have a Master's degree* and one year of paid social service experience (a practicum with the master's degree may be substituted for the one year of paid social service experience).
*The degree must be in social services, human services, behavioral science or an allied field and must be obtained from an accredited institution.
Selected candidate may be required to complete an In-Training Plan in order to meet experience required for the Social Service Specialist 3 job class.
Please be prepared to provide a copy of your college transcripts to verify degree information. Applicants may provide transcripts with application or may be requested by hiring team at a later date.
Questions? Please contact Chris Williams and reference 03569.
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history may be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the job. This announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies. Employees driving on state business must have a valid driver's license. Employees driving a privately owned vehicle on state business must have liability insurance on the privately owned vehicle.
Washington State Department of Social & Health Services is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in any area of employment, its programs or services on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, marital status, race, creed, color, national origin, religion or beliefs, political affiliation, military status, honorably discharged veteran, Vietnam Era, recently separated or other protected veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental, physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability, equal pay or genetic information. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the Recruiter at 360-725-5810. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6384.
Salary: $3,700.00 - $5,101.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Social and Health Services
Job Number: 2018-03569
Closing: 5/1/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact