Washington State Bridge Design Manager (2 Positions) in Tumwater, Washington
The Opportunity: The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) Bridge and Structures Office is seeking two highly experienced civil and structural engineering professionals to fill the vacancies of Floating Bridge & Special Structures Design Manager and Bridge Design Unit Manager in Tumwater, WA.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and perspectives whilefostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video:Why WSDOT?
The Floating Bridge & Special Structures Design Manager* will perform the following work:*
- Serves as a statewide technical expert on floating bridges.
- Manages floating bridges, movable bridges and special structures design activities performed by the Bridge & Structures Office Design staff and consultant.
- Determines and manages statewide design policy for floating bridges, movable bridges and special structures.
- Maintains close ties and communication with Region operations staff and Bridge Preservation staff to continuously evaluate the condition of the WSOOT floating bridges, movable bridges and special structures and their operational needs.
- Submits final design documents and budget proposals for floating bridges, movable bridges and special structures to the Bridge Design Engineer for approval.
- Once construction of floating bridges, movable bridges and special structures commence, the Floating Bridge & Special Structures Unit provides technical support, reviews and approves construction submittals required by the contract.
- This position will frequently provide an additional level of project review, at the qualify verification level.
- In addition, this position provides constructability reviews, participates in Value Engineering Studies, and manages research projects relating to Homeland Security and Bridge design.
The Bridge Design Unit Manager will perform the following work:
- Directs structural design efforts as the Structural Engineer of Record as defined in RCW 18.43 and directs owner reviews of structural designs prepared for WSDOT by engineering consultants and construction contractors.
- The structural plans, specifications, and estimate developed under the direction of this position are incorporated into project Plans, Specifications, and Estimates (PS&E;) developed by Region Offices for advertisement of construction projects.
- Responsible for developing and upholding agreements for delivery of high quality structural design plans and calculations that meet the scope of work, project budget, and Region Office schedules for state wide projects.
- Responsible for direction of structural design efforts and review efforts.
- Responsible for the safety, accuracy, and functionality of structural design calculations and contract documents prepared by the design unit.
- Provides construction plans and structural design expertise to support construction and preservation of bridges, retaining walls, sign and illumination support structures, traffic barrier systems, and other structural elements contained in the WSDOT highway system.
An ideal candidate for these positions will have:
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering.
- Professional Engineering License in Civil (PE) and Structural Engineering (SE) in State of Washington.
- Extensive knowledge in design of all types of concrete, steel, & timber bridges and retaining walls.
- Experienced in the contract administration and construction of all types of concrete, steel, & timber bridges and retaining walls.
- Experience managing, mentoring and developing staff.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Civil Service Rules and related WAC's.
- Knowledge of environmental regulations.
How to Apply:Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please select the large "apply" button at the top of this announcement. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, and attach a letter of interest and resume. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
Contact us:For inquiries about this position, please contact Erik Lunkeat 360-705-7747 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference recruitment number 18DOT-WMS-0W040m.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter.
Salary: $91,056.00 - $116,736.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 18DOT-WMS-0W040m
Closing: 3/28/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact