City of Tacoma WA Intern - Environmental Services Outreach & Communications in Tacoma, Washington
The City of Tacoma is seeking highly motivated people devoted to public service to join our team in providing exceptional service to the people of Tacoma. As an Intern for the Environmental Services Department, the person in this position would be responsible for assisting in the preparation and presentation of written reports, project informative materials for handouts and web page publications for education and outreach purposes in Environmental Programs.
If the below list of personal traits sounds like you, then you are just the type of person we are looking for to join our team as a paid Intern!
- Excellent attendance
- Great customer service
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- A creative thinker who enjoys the opportunity to work on marketing and communication materials
- Effective communication skills both verbally and in writing
Under close supervision, Interns for the City provide administrative and technical support to City Departments. This is trainee-level work of limited duration in which an incumbent provides technical assistance in the administration of a program. Incumbents will usually be student interns and/or special project participants.
Examples of Job Duties:
- Assists in conducting special studies on a diverse range of organizational topics within the City of Tacoma.
- Assists in the preparation and presentation of oral and/or written reports/presentations/publications such as handout literature and web site communications.
- Assists in the collection, compilation, tabulation, and analysis of information and data.
- Assists in performing research for special projects, studies, surveys, and investigations
- Assists in developing and evaluating management information systems
- Assists in the preparation for special events and functions
- Performs related duties as assigned related to environmental programs
Hours of Work and Benefits: This position is budgeted as temporary full-time. Temporary full-time positions receive benefits with the City the first day of the month following 60 days of continuous employment. We anticipate the Intern working a Monday through Friday schedule with a 7:30 am - 4:30 pm shift, with the potential for occasional overtime_. _
City of Tacoma Recruitment Information: One of the primary goals of the City of Tacoma Equity and Empowerment Initiative is that the City of Tacoma workforce reflects the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and we welcome candidates with diverse and/or multicultural skill sets and personal experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work and play. Qualifications
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
Enrolled in vocational school, community college, four-year college or university, graduate student or a recent graduate who has completed a degree from an accredited college/university within the last year.
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of modern principles, practices, techniques and methods of public administration.
- Knowledge of information management systems.
- Knowledge of research methodology.
- Skill in operating a personal computer and utilizing rudimentary software.
- Effective problem solving skills.
- Self-motivation and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement programs and to write clear, complete and logical reports and proposals.
- Ability to learn pertinent Federal, State, and local laws and ordinances.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, governmental officials and representatives of private agencies and the community.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing, using language that is appropriate to both the complexity of the topic and the knowledge and understanding of the audience. Selection Process & Supplemental Information
Our City: With a population of over 200,000, Tacoma is the second largest city in the Puget Sound region, gracing the shores of Commencement Bay. We are a diverse, progressive, international city that serves as a gateway to the Pacific Rim and the rest of the world. Named one of the most livable areas in the country by Livability.com, Tacoma and the surrounding area is a playground for outdoor and maritime enthusiasts. Our businesses are vibrant, our parks are beautiful, our schools are exceptional and our housing is affordable.
When you work for the City of Tacoma you'll enjoy a healthy work/life balance, the potential for flexible schedules with some job classifications, continuing education programs, leadership pathways, wellness incentives and a total rewards benefits program based on the type of position you are hired into (permanent, temporary, full or part-time, etc.). We welcome you to take a look at our website and discover how the City of Tacoma can make your next career move part of our combined destiny:
http://www.cityoftacoma.org/ http://www.traveltacoma.com/ http://www.cityoftacoma.org/newhires
The City of Tacoma believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. This job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Interested individuals must *complete the online application and attach *a detailed resume that includes major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position, and individuals are also encouraged to submit a brief cover letter.
Candidates who are eligible for Veteran's Preference scoring criteria must attach a copy of their DD-214 member copy 4, (proof of military discharge form) at time of application, to be eligible for review for Veteran's Preference, with redacted birth date and social security numbers.
This is a competitive hiring process. Candidates on the Referral List will have their application materials, resume and cover letter reviewed in depth. Hiring Managers will select and invite to interview the candidates deemed to potentially best meet business need, as vacancies arise.
Per City of Tacoma Personnel Management Policy #170, the City of Tacoma is a drug-free work environment. Appointment is subject to successful completion of a pre-employment background check*. *
Communication from the City of Tacoma: We primarily communicate via email during the application process. Emails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk email folders.
The online application system requires you to enter a substantial amount of information. Be prepared to spend at least an hour entering information. In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
For assistance with the NEOGOV application process, or questions regarding this job announcement, please call the Human Resources Department at (253) 591.5400 before 5:00 pm of the closing date of the job announcement.
Salary: $12.54 - $16.08 Hourly
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Non-Classified
Department: Environmental Services
Job Number: 4602-18B
Division: ES Science and Engineering
Closing: 3/29/2018 5:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764