HMS Global Maritime QMED in Steilacoom, Washington
HMS Ferries, Inc. seeks a QMED for the Pierce County, WA ferry operation. Would you describe yourself as:
If this sounds like you, keep reading.
This role requires extreme precision and resourcefulness. For consideration, all applicants must copy and paste this link into a new browser window and complete: https://www.cindexinc.com/c/6E6B8A
The QMED safely maintains all vessel systems to specifications determined by manufacturers, the United States Coast Guard regulations, and as directed by the Port Engineer, Port Captain, and General Manager. This position performs duties related to passenger safety, passenger service and vessel operations.
*Please note, this is a day-to-day passenger ferry operation with NO rotational assignment; thus there is NO messing and NO berthing provided. *
Duties & Responsibilities
- Remain true to and champion the Company’s Core Values and Code of Conduct.
- Safety First – Safety shall remain the highest priority at all times. Be an active advocate of, and participant in, the HMS Safety Culture.
- Consider reliability and efficiency with regard to Company operations.
Safety and Security
- Ensure safe and clean engine rooms
- Ensure safe and clean work areas
- Establish, implement and maintain task lists and USCG inspection checklist
- Conduct safety drills, safety meetings, procedures, and provide technical assistance and instruction to crewmembers
- Participate in onboard training and routine drills.
- Demonstrate practical knowledge of all phases of shipboard safety procedures and knowledge of location and use of all firefighting and safety equipment (i.e. fire extinguishers, life preservers, work vest).
- Use proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Handle and dispose of all chemicals and other types of hazardous or caustic materials in compliance with Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) (as required).
- Inspect safety equipment to verify location, condition, and markings are in compliance with USCG requirements; assist USCG in annual inspections of safety equipment; and enforce safety and USCG navigational laws
- Report safety related concerns.
- Assist with filling water, bunkering fuel, connecting and disconnecting shore power as directed.
- Supervise and mentor junior engineers and maintenance personnel
- Ensure daily, weekly, monthly and/or hourly preventative maintenance as required
- Manage, maintain and operate non-mechanical systems of the vessel or vessels within the legal requirements of the USCG and other pertinent regulatory agencies as well as mechanical systems
- Responsible for compilation, review and maintenance of systems and maintenance logs
- Prepare part specifications, locate distributors or vendors for custodial supplies, linens, paint, equipment and tools; maintain inventories needed for operation of mechanical and non-mechanical systems
- Defer to, and act in support of “the vessel” in the event of a real or simulated emergency
- Ensure that discharge sewage and oily water are in accordance with all regulations
- Engage in hands-on repairs and improvement projects as workload and criticality requires
- Participate in meetings as required by the Master
- Seek the highest levels of quality and professionalism.
- Work to achieve the highest levels of performance and productivity.
- Seek continuous improvement.
Human Resources (HR)
- Understand the Employee Handbook and adhere to policies.
- Comply with rules and regulations contained in the Crew Handbook and as directed by Supervisor including, but not limited to:
- Report to work on time and ready for duty;
- Depart the vessel(s) only when properly relieved;
- Ensure that the proper uniform is worn and grooming standards are met;
- Complete required administrative forms clearly and accurately, including Accident/Incident Reports and any/all other required HR forms/processes
- Understand and comply with the Safety Management System (SMS).
- Understand and comply with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Understand and comply with Preventative Maintenance Program (FASTER).
- Maintain Crew Qualification binder.
- Collaborate with other HMS personnel to remain attentive to regulatory requirements and alert to regulatory changes.
- Assist Master in ensuring compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal safety and environmental regulations.
- Assist Master in ensuring vessel is in an inspection-ready condition at all times.
*Client Relations *
- Present professional level of customer service and appearance to all clients, both internal and external.
*Administration / Financial *
- Ensure that all spending is approved, conscientious, careful and focused
- Report all deficiencies to the Master on Duty and Port Engineer.
*Other Duties *
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications & Requirements
- *Education: *
- HS Diploma
- Professional Certification(s) or License:
- Valid U.S.C.G. Qualified Member of the Engine Department (QMED) credential, and ability to maintain
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC Card), and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Valid First Aid/CPR Certification, and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Valid Driver’s License
- Copy of DD214, if Veteran status
- Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong organizational skills and high level of attention to detail
- Ability to effectively interact with the passengers, guests, and fellow employees.
- Ability to work in fast-paced, quickly-changing environment
- Working knowledge of Diesel Machinery and other ship systems
- Basic seamanship skills including: safety equipment, line handling, knots & splices and small boat handling
- Two (2) years’ experience on vessels of similar size
- Passenger Vessel experience preferred, specifically in the engine area
- Excellent career record in marine industry.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Submit to and pass alcohol and drug tests as mandated by the USCG including but not limited to pre-employment, random, reasonable suspicion and post-accident/incident testing.
The majority of work is performed in a Marine environment in outdoor conditions with exposure to various temperatures and weather conditions, along with a moderate to loud noise level.
The Marine operation is subject to varied wake and motion.
- Ability to stand and walk on nearly a constant basis
- Ability to bend, rotate and reach frequently
- Ability to carry, push/pull and/or lift materials weighing upwards of 75 lbs.
- Ascending/descending stairs or ladders safely
- Ability to manipulate/handle/grip materials required to perform job
- Ability to maneuver through/in/around small and/or confined areas within the vessel
- Must be able to maintain both static and dynamic standing balance to complete various duties associated with job
- Must be capable of performing emergency duties as listed in the vessel’s station bill
- Vision must be correctible to 20/40 with full color vision and no night blindness.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed. This job description is not to be construed as an all-inclusive list of all activities, duties and/or responsibilities that are required of the employee. All duties, responsibilities, or activities may be changed, as well as additional duties assigned, at any time with or without notice.
Tracking Code: 2432-682
Job Location: Steilacoom, Washington, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular