Microsoft Corporation Senior Software Engineer in Redmond, Washington
This Job is eligible for the following work arrangements: Flex Time
The Azure Data Lake Store (ADLS) team is chartered to build, manage and run the Microsoft Azure Big Data Analytics Storage platform that supports big-data loads such as Hadoop, Hive, Storm, HBase, Spark and more. ADLS is an elastic scale, multi-model cloud database services that provides enterprise-grade security, auditing and support. In addition to the standard Hadoop distributed file system (HDFS), it also supports Microsoft’s Cosmos file system - long used internally at Microsoft as the warehouse for data and analytics. Virtually all groups across Microsoft, including Ad platforms, Bing, Halo, Office, Skype, Windows and XBOX, store many Exabytes of heterogeneous data in Cosmos, doing everything from exploratory analysis and stream processing to production workflows. The team is in the midst of migrating the Cosmos data and workloads to ADLS thus creating the first-of-its-kind enterprise-ready, public cloud storage service. You can read more about our architecture at https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3056100.
We are currently looking for engineers who are interested in taking on hard problems with managing large scale data. You will have an opportunity to work on cutting edge features such as a fully transactional in-memory database engine, a distributed and consistent naming service, a tiered storage file management service that enables any part of a file to be in one or more of the several storage tiers as dictated by policy or performance goals and many more (undisclosed) features. If you are a collaborative developer who can think big, deliver on those big challenges, and along the way, change the world, come join us on the Azure Data Lake Store team!
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering or Mathematics or Physics or IT technical discipline or in place of 3+ years of internship or 3+ years of industry software engineering experience
• 5+ years of programming experience in Java OR C++ OR C OR object-oriented programming
• BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering.
• Experience with building and shipping complex systems software/services.
• Demonstrated coding chops, design and problem solving skills.
• Experience with solving problems related with data durability, availability and concurrency issues in a multi-tenant environment is a plus.
• Have a deep desire to work collaboratively, solve problems with groups, find win/win solutions and celebrate successes.
• Solve problems by always leading with deep passion and empathy for customers
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.