Microsoft Corporation Privacy Senior Program Manager in Redmond, Washington
Do you want to work on a team that is redefining how humans interact with intelligent technology in more natural and personalized ways? At Microsoft, our mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. For over two decades now, Windows has democratized computing and made it possible for billions of humans everywhere to achieve more!
With the power of a Common Core Platform enabling new and innovative category defining Devices (like HoloLens, Surface Studio, Surface Dial etc.) backed by Intelligent Cloud Services (like XBOX Live, Office365, OneDrive, Universal Store, Beam Streaming, LinkedIn, Dynamics CRM, Bing, Skype, Yammer, Microsoft Health etc.), Windows continues to enable users to have Seamless, Secure and Intuitive game changing Experiences (like 3D Object Creation, Holographic Computing, Augmented / Virtual Reality, 4k Gaming, Inking, Cortana Personal Assistant etc.) across multiple devices in a complex and socially connected world.
Today’s users are always online and constantly on the go. They expect to do more by interacting with familiar experiences on any device in more natural ways often using speech, gestures and/or text that they already use when communicating with other humans. At the same time, users also express themselves and their emotions through deep levels of personalization on their devices. Windows continues to push new boundaries in enabling deeply personalized experiences, so users can interact with devices in more natural ways and express themselves further through the power of new technologies in areas like Big Data, Cloud Services, Computer Vision, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence.
These exciting user experiences and technologies also need to meet or exceed user’s privacy expectations. The WDG Privacy Program works with engineering teams to promote transparency and end user choice over use of their personal information. Within the team, the privacy assurance function focuses on validating the implementation of transparency and user choice. We are looking for an engineer with expertise in software testing methodologies who is a self-motivated individual to who has a consultative approach with partner teams and can influence process and priorities, all while maintaining and growing customer trust in Privacy at Microsoft. Candidates should be highly motivated and passionate about privacy and user experience, and strive to make Microsoft products features clear, easy-to-use, and compliant with privacy and security regulations.
The successful candidate will have technical acumen sufficient to engage directly with development and test teams in assessing privacy risk of backend services, platform services, APIs, stored procedures, etc. This position requires technical depth, proven ability to advocate for the right thing and to influence senior engineering teams, and the ability to establish engineering processes. Cross-team collaboration will be a key success factor in this role, including keen organizational awareness to manage potentially contentious cross-team challenges, and interpersonal skills necessary to anticipate and resolve issues between different disciplines, products or divisions.
• Assess: Conduct technical deep-dive reviews to evaluate features to mitigate any concerns pre-launch, and to ensure all products and services all meet the high privacy bar when they are released to customers.
• Guide: Partner with WDG teams in all phases of development as a subject matter expert on feature design and user experience that focuses on privacy compliance and excellence.
• Attest: Ensure WDG products and connected services comply with the all internal privacy standards and pass all privacy bug bars as well as any other legal regulations and develop customized implementation guidelines for the division where needed.
• Anticipate: Understand the competitive landscape and provide proactive privacy guidance to WDG feature teams to build future-proof solutions.
• Innovate: Propose new features and functionality for WDG related to end user privacy and data protection
• Implement infrastructure: Support privacy as an WDG tenet, including integration in the development cycle and engineering system. Drive and execute on the privacy plan and strategy for WDG, taking into account the changing competitive landscape and privacy regulations around the globe.
• Drive to resolution: Be able to identify and drive decisions by appropriately escalating security and privacy issues to Exec management, Legal Corporate Affairs (LCA) and/or Trustworthy Computing Group (TwC).
• Educate: Support a network of privacy champions across WDG to expand the reach of the WDG Privacy team in delivering assessment, training and documentation across the organization.
• 3+ years Program Management experience.
To be successful you will need the following qualifications:
• 2+ years privacy review experience, and experience drafting policy for emerging issues
• Previous ownership and delivery of functional specifications/plans
• Attention to detail and willingness to dive into technical details on WDG features to deliver privacy requirements and innovations
• Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills
• Strong leadership skills and previous PM experience as part of a feature team
• Outstanding cross-group collaboration skills and proven ability to drive initiatives across organizations
• Deep knowledge and passion for end user privacy and ability to apply learnings throughout the organization
• Solid project management and reporting experience
• A passion for deeply understanding customer needs, protecting customer rights and enabling the business
• BA/BS or equivalent
• Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP)
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program management (engineering)