Washington State Energy Facility Site Specialist in Olympia, Washington
**Respect. Professionalism. Integrity. Accountability.
Help protect the citizens of Washington state!**
The Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission (UTC) is seeking an experienced individual to provide professional siting, review and compliance monitoring of energy facilities under the Energy Facility Site Evaluation Council's (EFSEC) jurisdiction. EFSEC siting and monitoring activities help build and sustain livable, vibrant communities that meet the economic, environmental, and social needs of our citizens.
This recruitment is open until the position is filled. However, we reserve the right and may exercise the option to make a hiring decision after seven calendar days, so please apply as soon as possible.
About the UTC and Employer Initiatives
The UTC regulates the rates, services and practices of private or investor-owned utilities and transportation companies.
The UTC is continually recognized for its excellence and integrity as a utility and transportation regulatory agency, as we challenge the status quo and ourselves.
At the UTC, we recognize that our employees are the key to the agency's success. We are committed to our work, but value the balance with our personal lives. We demonstrate our commitment to employees by providing an environment that stimulates professional growth, continued learning opportunities, offers meaningful work and a comprehensive benefits package. For more information about benefits, please visit http://www.utc.wa.gov/aboutUs/careers/Pages/Working-at-UTC.aspx.
The UTC is a great place to work and has implemented several, and is developing additional, initiatives that create a great working environment, including:
- We are making exciting steps towards modernizing our workplace with a planned move to Lacey, Washington, which will inspire workspaces that promote creative thought, innovation, and collaboration among co-workers, and improve building security and employee safety.
- We support a healthy work/life balance by offering flexible/alternative work schedules and mobile and telework options. (Depending on job duties).
- We have a formal mentoring program to provide and encourage employee growth and development, while also promoting informal mentoring relationships and sharing of knowledge across the commission.
- We have an Infant at Work Program that is based on the long-term values of breastfeeding newborns and infant-parent bonding. Eligible employees who are new mothers, fathers, or legal guardians can bring their infant (six weeks to six months) when returning to work. (Depending on job duties and work location).
- We have an engaging wellness program which focuses on all nine elements of wellness: spiritual, physical, social, environmental, occupational, emotional, intellectual, nutritional, and financial. The UTC has received the state's Zo8 award the past three years for our achievement in building a sustainable wellness program.
- We have a comprehensive continuous improvement program focused on using Lean tools and principles to solve problems and continuously improve work processes.
- We use a structured, data-driven Lean Management Systemmethodology to manage the core work and key initiatives of the commission and provide employees with a clear line of site from their daily work to the agency level key goals, outcomes, and core processes.
For more information about the UTC, see our website www.utc.wa.gov – or visit www.twitter.com/wautc and www.facebook.com/wautc.
What you will be doing:
Responsibilities include professional analysis of the environmental, engineering, or socioeconomic aspects of energy facility applications; directing the work of others working under contract to conduct State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) environmental reviews; development of air emission, water discharge, wetland, and other specific permits associated with energy facility siting and compliance monitoring; providing evaluations and making recommendations related to the review of contractor reports used for the development of permits for energy facilities under EFSEC jurisdiction; presenting oral and written reports on siting and compliance matters to EFSEC managers and council members; conducting quarterly audits through the review of facility records and by performing site inspections.
What we're looking for:
The ideal candidate will have the following required qualifications:
A Bachelor's degree in engineering, natural or physical science, environmental planning or a closely allied field; and three years of professional experience in environmental review, environmental permit regulation, or a closely allied field.
A combination of relevant education and experience may be considered in meeting the qualifications.
Required Position Specific Competencies:
Decision Making Judgment - Recognizes problems and responds. Systematically gathers information, sorts through complex issues, seeks input from others, addresses root causes of issues, makes timely decisions, can make difficult decisions, uses consensus when possible, and communicates decisions to others. Recognizes limits of responsibility and the need to communicate effectively with EFSEC staff and Managers.
Analytical Skills - Able to use data and information in a clear and rational manner to assess and understand issues regarding applications and to verify completeness of applications and compliance with rules and regulations. Able to use good judgment to determine what records, rules, policies or procedures are responsive to an inquiry or analysis. Use judgment and critical thinking to infer appropriate meaning and form conclusions necessary to resolve the problem or issue.
Although not required, preference may be given to candidates who have the following desired qualifications:
Experience working with complex environmental issues. Experience working with SEPA and environmental permitting in the state of Washington.?
Negotiation Skills – Ability to conduct positive negotiations, compromise, handle conflicts, seek common ground, articulate own and others goals, and stay focused on positive outcomes.
Project Management – Ability to establish project goals, milestones and procedures, define roles and responsibilities, acquire project resources, coordinate projects throughout the organization, monitor project progress, and manage multiple projects.?
Knowledge of current economic, social, political and environmental issues, laws, trends, policies and programs affecting the siting of energy facilities.
Work is performed both in the office and in the field at various locations throughout the state in all weather conditions. This position may spend time traveling during and outside normal work hours throughout the state, including overnight stays. Field duties may require incumbent to wear protective/safety clothing and equipment (which may include hearing protection, eye protection, protective coveralls, hard hat and safety shoes).
Conditions of Employment:
This position is represented by the Washington Federation of State Employees. The incumbent is required to pay union dues or other representation fees within the first 30 days of employment.
Conflict of Interest: RCW 80.01.020 limits the commission's ability to employ any person who owns stock in any company the commission regulates or is otherwise financially interested in such company.
Jobs advertised as Open Continuous may be closed without notice. It is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible.
Read the instructions below carefully before following the "Apply" link above.
In addition to completing the online application, applicants must attach the following documents to their application to be considered for this position:
- A letter of interestexplaining how you meet the qualifications of this position;
- A current resume detailing experience and education;
- A list of three professional references with current telephone numbers, including your current or most recent supervisor (or you may include this information in the Reference section of your application). A professional reference is defined as an individual who has been paid to supervise your work and can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job competencies. If you do not have any or sufficient professional references, please include non-related professionals, such as educators or other professional associates.
READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION COMPLETELY:
- Carefully review your application and other documents requested (e.g., cover letter and resume) for accuracy, spelling and grammar before submitting.
- The initial screening of applications will be solely based on the contents and completeness of the "work experience" and "education" sections of your application in www.careers.wa.gov; completeness of your resume, cover letter, and any other materials submitted as part of the application process; and responses to the supplemental questionnaire.
- A resume will not substitute for completing the "work experience" section of the application.
Only complete applications will be considered.*All information may be verified and documentation may be required.*
Visit these links to learn more about: the state of Washington http://access.wa.gov, the Olympia area www.co.thurston.wa.us or www.Olympiawa.gov
The Utilities and Transportation Commission is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial, and ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application process or this announcement in an alternative format may contact Susan Holman at (360) 664-1243 or email@example.com. Our statewide toll free TTY number is 1-800-416-5289.
Salary: $4,623.00 - $6,062.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Utilities and Transportation Commission
Job Number: 2018-02595
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact