Washington State Assistant State Construction Engineer - WMS3 in Olympia, Washington
NOTE: This position is opened until filled. The first round assessment will be conducted on April 30, 2018. The agency reserves the right to make an appointment any time after the initial screening date. It is to the candidate's advantage to apply early.
The Opportunity: If you are inspired to provide strategic support, guidance, and advice to regions throughout the state on issues affecting the administration of WSDOT construction projects, this may be the opportunity you have been looking for! The State Construction Office in Olympia, WA is looking to fill an Assistant State Construction Engineer position who will have the responsibility for providing technical expertise to the Regions for construction contracts and maintaining and evolving policies and procedures related to construction. This position is also responsible for providing approvals to contract changes, monitoring and advising on proposed legislation, and representing the department with regards to contract administration with other state agencies, local agencies, and FHWA.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and perspectives whilefostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video:Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Provides direct monitoring and oversight of activities in assigned field offices and assigned regions.
- Approves/disapproves change orders for construction contracts that are beyond the authority of the regions.
- Provides troubleshooting services to region managers and project engineers such as expert engineering assistance and the coordination of construction support resources.
- Provides indirect support throughout the State as backup to peer-level managers within the Construction Office.
- Assists in resolution of contract disputes before formal claims are initiated.
- Assists in the resolution of formal claims.
- Ensures compliance with WSDOT FHWA stewardship agreement.
- Develops new and revised specifications, policies, and procedures. Assists in the dissemination of these to all statewide offices.
- Assists in training and insuring compliance with MSVWBE and DBE programs.
- Maintains communication with industry to assess specification effectiveness and implements new products/materials/research.
- Is an active member of WSDOT/industry teams (e.g., AGC)
A candidate for this position will be required to have:
- At least four years as a Project Engineer OR two years as an Assistant Project Engineer AND two years as a Project Engineer
- Professional Engineer License (civil engineering) in Washington State
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Project Engineer experience administering construction projects.
- Prior working knowledge of contract administration with WSDOT Specification and standards; AASHTO/ASTM Standards; Construction practices and methods; State and federal contracting laws; Construction Materials and Legislative process.
- Ability to communicate effectively and facilitate collaboration with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to determine risk levels and make decisions on complex engineering and contract administration issues.
- Facilitation skills to help resolving disputes between the State and contractors.
- Ability to traverse uneven terrain in adverse weather conditions.
- Prior experience coaching and mentoring staff.
- Ability to travel with some overnight stays.
- Valid driver's license
How to Apply:Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please select the large "apply" button at the top of this announcement. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a letter of interest. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
Contact us:For inquiries about this position, please contact Erik Lunkeat 360-705-7747 or email to email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 18DOT-WMS-0W154e.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter.
Salary: $91,056.00 - $116,736.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 18DOT-WMS-0W154e
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact