Washington State DSHS Security Guard 1 in Lakewood, Washington
We are seeking people who are able to quickly adapt to their environment and have the skills to proactively manage situations, and be an effective member at Western State Hospital (WSH) as a Security Guard 1, in Lakewood.
As the Security Guard 1 you will be responsible to maintain the integrity of Western State Hospital's safety by ensuring operations are compliant that prevent illegal entry, escapes and unauthorized leave of patients. You will be assigned to the Central Campus Control Center at WSH, were you will operate and maintain various emergency and communication systems by responding to emergency calls, monitor fire alarm systems and monitor the personal duress alarm system 24/7/365.
Some of what you will do:
- Assist WSH management in enforcing hospital rules, regulations, policies and statutory laws.
- Coordinate the appropriate responses to the incident by dispatching responding staff to include security staff and medical first responders to incidents.
- Contact 911 and coordinate fire, law enforcement, or ambulance response if needed.
- Ensure proper notification of emergent situations are conducted by providing dispatch services to mobile units based internal or external radio traffic; sending messages by pager, text message and hospital email.
- After critical incidents, staff must follow and coordinate extensive checklists for response activity.
- Complete documentation daily to ensure events are recorded accurately.
- Train and coach new personnel who are in "training positions in the Control Center.
- Receive and provide response to communications from staff, patients, contractors and visitors by radio, telephone and in person.
- Work closely with the Emergency Management Director and Chief Safety and Security Officer for quality control and applicability of policies and response procedures for normal and emergency operations.
- Record, evaluate, and disseminate reports of incidents or events.
- Notify the RN4 or designated social worker to assist walk-in patients.
- Conduct the check in process and coordinate escorts for visitors and interpreters.
- Received and announces customers to offices, wards or departments.
- Notifies executive staff and Hospital Incident Command Staff of emergent incidents, safety issues or events which affect the continuity of business at the hospital.
- Participate in a shift briefing prior to assuming duties.
- Ensure that WSH facility security is maintained through accountability and issuance of emergency keys, from KeyWatcher and temporary identification badges.
- Operate electronic doors to ensure all staff, patients and visitors have appropriate identification before allowing access.
- Assist in ensuring safety of various hospital personnel is maintained.
- Have a personal emergency plan in case duty hours are extended without notice. Qualifications
High school graduation or GED an done year of experience in areas of work such as; security guard, correctional officer, store investigations, police officer, police reserve officer, military police or other law enforcement work OR A certificate of completion in a basic law enforcement training program approved by the Washington Criminal Justice Training Commission OR A certificate of completion in a police or reserve police academy or military training program.
A valid driver's license is required.
Able to effectively use a computer and utilize the security or Stancel database. Able to effectively communicate with staff and patients with staff and patients both orally and in writing.
Completion of FEMA Independent Study courses IS700, IS100 and IS200. I not completed already, must complete within six months of hire.
What we are looking for:
- The ability to do the following:
- Use a PC for multiple programs, typing, entering data and submitting reports
- Operate various emergency communications devices and office equipment
- Provide great customer service. Deal tactfully and effectively with individuals and situation
- Multi-task and handle emergency situations calmly while under pressure
- Follow, enforce policies and procedures, and emergency protocols
Must have the following:
Organization skills and the ability to train, coach, and correct subordinates
- Excellent customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Be familiar with the National Incident Management System and Incident Command System
Questions about the application process, please contact Lynette Ryderat 360-829-4956 referencing 02374. Supplemental Information
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history may be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the job. This announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies. Employees driving on state business must have a valid driver's license. Employees driving a privately owned vehicle on state business must have liability insurance on the privately owned vehicle.
Washington State Department of Social & Health Services is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, marital status, race, creed, color, national origin, religion or beliefs, political affiliation, military status, honorably discharged veteran, Vietnam Era, recently separated or other protected veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental, physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability, equal pay or genetic information. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the Recruiter at (360) 725-5810. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6384.
Salary: $2,778.00 - $3,612.00 Monthly
Location: Pierce County – Lakewood, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Social and Health Services
Job Number: 2018-02374
Closing: 3/21/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact