Washington State Incident Response Technician - MT2 in Kelso, Washington
The Southwest Region Incident Response Team (IRT) is currently seeking a safety oriented individual to join their team. The successful candidate will patrol designated state highway segments in the greater Clark/Cowlitz/Lewis County areas, locating and assisting/relocating disabled vehicles, and or occupants and will operate a push truck to move vehicles to a safe location. The purpose of an IRT member is to discover potential or actual highway incidents quickly and to mitigate traffic impacts in order to restore normal traffic flow as quickly as possible.
With keen basic mechanical skills, the IRT member will have the ability to analyze and discuss mechanical malfunctions, recognize non-field repairable conditions and recommend towing services when necessary. The IRT member is a first responder and as such may be the first unit at a traffic incident scene and must be able to recognize the initial severity of an incident and potential for secondary impacts to traffic and communicate this information to the appropriate authorities in a timely manner. The IRT member will use a WSP high band and WSDOT 800 MHz radios to communicate with the Washington State Patrol, and the Traffic Management Center (TMC). This position will use a variety of personal safety equipment as required of the job including performing CPR if needed.
Due to the nature of the work, the selected incumbent will respond to emergency call outs, work extended shifts on short notice (days, nights, weekends, and split shifts), and perform standby duty on a rotational basis. It is an expectation that the WSDOT IRT personnel be able to respond to the I-5 Corridor within 10 minutes of notification for emergency response. In addition, the successful candidate must pass a criminal history check administered by the Washington State Patrol (WSP).
At WSDOT, we honor diversity_ in the workplace and support one another with respect and trust. If you would like to join our team-oriented environment and enjoy a continuously changing environment, and a great deal of career stability and growth, definitely consider a career opportunity with WSDOT. To learn more, please watch the following video:_Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Establish and perform traffic control functions; set up signs for lane closures, road closures, and detours.
- Safely clear collision/incident scenes.
- Assist disabled vehicles, including changing tires, providing gas and jump starts.
- Lift and carry equipment and remove debris weighing over 50 lbs. in a safe manner.
- Safely operate a push truck with a push bumper, tow strap or chain to relocate vehicles.
- Prepare reports for each incident.
- Professionally operate a WSP high band and WSDOT 800MHz radios.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Valid Washington State Commercial Driver License with CDL Class A including N endorsement without airbrake restrictions.
- Have a high school diploma or GED certification.
- Have at least (2) two years of experience performing roadway maintenance, heavy equipment operation, truck driving, traffic control, construction, timber operations, or landscaping.
- Ability to respond to the I-5 Corridor within 10 minutes of notification for emergency response.
- The ability to perform assigned duties safely, reliably, efficiently, and productively alone or as a member of a team under diverse road and weather conditions.
- Ability to work in areas of high traffic volume while performing job functions.
- Mechanical aptitude and a working knowledge of basic automobile and truck mechanics.
- Experience in traffic control per MUTCD including planning, setting signs, and flagging.
- Experience working with the public in a safety related position.
- Professional tow truck experience.
- Excellent working knowledge of the National Incident Management System (NIMS).
Note: This position is covered by a union shop provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, candidates who are appointed are required to become members of the WFSE, or arrange to pay to that union a fee equivalent to its regular monthly dues. The union shop provision shall be effective on the first day of the month following the employee's initial 30 days in this classification.
How to Apply:Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please select the large "apply" button at the top of this announcement. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a letter of interest. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
Contact us:For inquiries about this position, please contact Robyn Lovelyat 360-705-7053 or email to LovelyR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please reference recruitment number 18DOT-SWR-41192.
**Employment, Education and Criminal History Verification__
Due to the nature of this position a comprehensive background check will be conducted on the final candidate(s) prior to hire. Applicants will be required to sign a release of authorization prior to conducting the background check. Applicants will be notified prior to any adverse hire action taken as a result of a background check. Information received from the background check does not automatically make a candidate ineligible for employment. However, candidates that provide false or misleading information in their application and/or authorization may be eliminated from any further consideration. If you have questions regarding this process, please contact the recruiter listed above.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call or email the recruiter.
Salary: $39,312.00 - $47,820.00 Annually
Location: Cowlitz County – Kelso, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 18DOT-SWR-41192
Closing: 4/24/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact