Washington State Transportation Design/Construction Engineer-Transportation Engineer 2 In Training in Washington
NOTE: This recruitment will be open until filled. We have multiple positions available throughout the Olympic Region: Aberdeen, Lacey, Port Angeles, Port Orchard, Tumwater, and Fife. It is to the candidate's advantage to apply early. First round assessment will be conducted on July 31, 2017. The agency reserves the right to make an appointment any time after the initial screening date.
WSDOT's is currently looking for enthusiastic engineers who have a passion for creative solutions, innovation, and can provide success in collaborative efforts. We are looking for entry-level and journey-level engineers who want to participate in supporting some of the most important infrastructure projects in Washington State. Your work will be within a dynamic Design/Construction engineering office and will be pivotal in meeting the goals of this agency. Be a part of a team whose mission is to provide safe, reliable, and cost-effective transportation options to communities and businesses.
Note: These in-training positions offer a career path and on-the-job training, and allow you to progress through the Transportation Engineer field, achieving the goal class of a Transportation Engineer 2. Candidates will be considered as a Transportation Engineer 1 or Transportation Engineer 2 depending on qualifications. The salary levels for each are:
_ _ Transportation Engineer 1: $50,292 – $65,916
Transportation Engineer 2: $55,476 - $72,744
Depending on your assignment, you may perform the following work:
- Perform general inspection on highway construction projects including materials inspection and testing.
- Document construction inspections to ensure projects are in conformance with contract plans, permits, and regulations.
- Interpret data, identify problems and develop solutions using sound engineering judgment and guidelines on complicated transportation projects.
- Serve as a designer performing a variety of skilled project development work.
- Assist with design and development of plans, specifications, and estimates working in both the office environment and doing field exploration.
- Develop and check engineering design calculations and drawings.
- Effectively utilize design software to complete designs.
- Communicate orally and in writing with contractors, designers, other team members, support offices, and the public.
- Other duties as assigned.
An ideal candidate will have some of the following:
- Bachelor's degree in civil or structural engineering or closely related field or a projected graduation date within six months.
- Certification as an Engineer-In-Training (EIT) or ability to obtain within six months.
- Solid understanding of transportation engineering principles.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- The ability to read, interpret, understand, review and produce contract plans, specifications, and estimates.
- Proficient use of computer, including knowledge of engineering and computer aided drafting software applications.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather conditions, traverse uneven terrain, and work in confined spaces.
- Ability to adjust work schedule to coincide with contractor's activities, including working long hours and nights.
- A valid driver's license and be able to safely travel from site to site to provide field support.
- The ability to obtain and maintain certifications for construction materials testing.
- The ability to lift and carry up to 40 pounds.
These positions are covered by a union shop provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, you are required to become a member of the PTE, Local 17, or arrange to pay that union a representational fee. The union shop requirement shall be effective on the first day of the month following the employee's initial 30 days in this classification.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please click on the apply button at the top of this announcement, you may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position, you will need to attach a cover letter and resume.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Rachel Gieseat email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 17DOT-OR-32488m.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call or email the recruiter.
Salary: $50,292.00 - $72,744.00 Annually
Location: Multiple Locations - Western Washington, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 17DOT-OR-32488m
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact