Leidos Protection & Control Engineer in Seattle, Washington
Leidos is a trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to Leidos for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms.
We are seeking a Sr Protection & Control Engineer who will work as a member of a dynamic team in a fast paced environment, solving challenging substation engineering problems. In the project engineering role the qualified individual will require a combination of strong engineering and interpersonal skills and high attention to detail with a passion for quality. The position will include coordinating with project managers, directing design engineers and CADD/designer staff, and performing design quality reviews. Additionally, the candidate will be responsible for interfacing directly with clients and other staff in remote office locations. Assignments cover the full range of project planning through design and construction support. Design work may range from substation expansions, modifications and new builds for projects at 12.5 kV through 500 kV.
Apply a diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices as applied to substation engineering, design, and operation in the electric utility industry.
Prepares equipment specifications, analyzes bids, makes recommendations for purchase
• Applies standards including the NESC, IEEE, IEC, and is familiar with design guides such as the RUS Bulletin 1742E-200
• Familiar with state and federal safety, regulatory compliance requirements, and construction codes
• Prepares project analysis, budgets, schedules, and plans
• Prepares construction and procurement documents
• Prepares engineering calculations and reports
• Supports construction and substation and equipment commissioning
• Acts as a resource and mentor to other engineering staff
The successful candidate will demonstrate their capability to perform the job functions with a combination of education, experience, knowledge, and skills.
Typically requires 4-8 years and a Bachelors Science in Electrical Engineering or a Masters in Electrical Engineering and 2-6 years of relevant experience in the design of utility transmission and distributions substations up to 500 kV
Professional Engineer’s license preferred
Electrical and civil engineering principles and practices as applied in the electric utility environment
Equipment selection and specification
One and three-line diagrams
Control and protection schemes including the preparation of schematics and wiring diagrams
• Proficient in the use of typical office computer software such as WORD, EXCEL, PROJECT, and ACROBAT
• Demonstrated ability to perform effectively within a driven work environment
• Demonstrated ability to analyze and creatively problem solve
• Demonstrated ability to communicate, collaborate and interact with clients and other project team members
• Demonstrated technical writing skills
• Self-starter who can work independently with minimal direction
This job will at times require periodic travel and potentially short time assignment at client sites.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.