Amazon.com Manager, App Engineering in Seattle, Washington
Amazon and our subsidiaries employ tens of thousands of employees around the globe and we continue to grow rapidly. The volume of internal human resources transactions associated with this number of employees is massive, and requires an extremely reliable, highly customized series of software products that ensure our global employee base receives reliable, timely and accurate experiences throughout the employee lifecycle.
As a key member of the People Technology leadership team, this individual is responsible for ensuring the functionality and operational health of our Time and Attendance platforms. The Amazon HR systems are a mix of extremely customized third-party and internally developed applications. Technologies include Kronos, Oracle databases, PeopleSoft, Linux, Actuate, OBIEE, Java, Ruby, and a host of internally-developed Amazon tools. Amazon has grown significantly since the deployment of these tools and we are now at an inflection point where we must make long term decisions to support explosive growth on a global basis. It is essential that we enable Amazon to scale quickly and efficiently.
The successful candidate will be passionate about building a great organization, well-rounded technically, obsessed with software development best practices, experienced in leading enterprise software development teams, and highly committed. If you are talented, detail-oriented, enthusiastic, passionate about quality, and committed to delivering the best possible experience for our employees, then we want you!
The long term objectives for this leader include:
• Own production and operational support for HR systems
• Install operational excellence through a set of robust process, metric and “do it right the first time” thought processes to ensure quality.
• Instill development best practices and build a culture where we insist on the highest standards.
• Continually identify opportunities for Operational Excellence and process improvements to eliminate inefficiencies and enable our business partners to scale.
• Own the integrity of data as it flows through upstream and downstream systems. This will include external parties such as outsourced payroll processors and benefits administrators
• Manage small project delivery team for various HR systems. We have a small team of developers to tackle small, high impact development work. This role is responsible for prioritizing and executing on the plan to improve system performance, stability, usability and solve customer problems and requests.
• This is not a back office role. You will be tightly integrated with the users of our services, understanding their pain points and work with People Technology Delivery to provide options
• Build and lead a high performing team.
It is expected that the right candidate for this position will achieve all of the below by the end of the first 12 months in the role:
1) Develop credibility with the People Technology team and business partners through effective demonstration of Amazon leadership principles
2) Develop a full understanding of the People Technology application capabilities and the associated business processes that they support (HR, Payroll, Time and Attendance)
3) Develop a full understanding of the current HR systems technical and system landscape
4) Define and enforce the appropriate SDLC steps
•3+ years previous management experience in an internally-facing IT group managing individual contributors
•Ownership of technical system or service of significant scope or scale
•Service management mind set aware (change, release, capacity, availability)
•PMO mindset aware (program management, prioritization, reporting)
•Data orientated and inquisitive. Ability to dig below the numbers
•Excellent sensing and judgment skills
•5+ years of technical industry experience
•5+ years of hands-on experience with software design and development or system engineering, database engineering or related field
•Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Experience managing global teams
Experience with Kronos
Experience with PeopleSoft
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Strong analytical skills with excellent problem solving
Ability to work with technical and non-technical business owners
Extensive experience and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, design patterns, code reviews, test reviews, source control management, build & deploy processes, testing, and operations
Familiarity with HR, Payroll, and/or Timekeeping systems, data, functionality, and concepts
Experience managing technical individual contributors
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
AMZR Req ID: 548653
External Company URL: www.amazon.com