Microsoft Corporation Principal Software Engineer in Redmond, Washington
Microsoft Azure SQL DB is a leader in managed relational database business and we are growing rapidly. We are operating hundreds of thousands of servers worldwide with millions of databases in over 40 regions. In the past few years Azure SQL DB brought revolutionary capabilities to the market that span database insights, auditing, performance optimization, encryption, accidental and disaster recovery, regional fault tolerance as well as a spectrum of features that deeper integrate with Azure platform providing truly end-to-end solutions. Our team pushes the limits of technology to exceed requirements of the most demanding data applications in the industry. Large enterprises and SaaS providers are migrating to Microsoft Azure bringing large volume of data and manageability requirements.
Azure SQL DB Control Plane is processing billions of REST API calls every month with predictable SLA and 100% consistency, tolerating underlying system failures, software and hardware upgrades and reconfiguration. It orchestrates complex workflows spanning multiple services in Azure and within Azure SQL DB clusters. Customers expect 100% availability and instant elasticity of databases that scale up and down with demand regardless of their size. We are looking for a strong technical leader to shape the future of Database-as-a-Service business. As a Principal Software Engineer, you will have an opportunity to influence the entire industry through the service that millions of customers rely on for their data persistence needs. You will envision, design and lead development from the front, setting an example for others to follow. You will own technical charter of Azure SQL DB Control Plane, collaborate across disciplines, organizational boundaries and services to bring together teams and create innovative resource management experience, optimize COGS, leap to the new level of scale and reliability. You will connect with individual customers and be core to building proof-of-concept solutions that meet their needs.
Candidate should have:
• Passion for API, distributed systems, cloud technology
• Good analytical skills and learning agility
• Capacity to drill deep through software and sometimes hardware layers as well as effectively manage a portfolio of services and components
• Rigor to drive the change and pursue results across teams
• Ability to navigate ambiguity and deliver results in fast-paced environment
• Interest in building a team with a services mindset
• Release features on time, with high quality, meeting functional, performance, scalability and compliance requirements
• Write clean well thought out code with attention to details, establish coding standards and integrate them with the team
• Mentor and grow members of the team
• Operate the service through telemetry, monitoring and analytics
• Partner with customer support channels to provide the best experience
• Provide critical thinking, technical innovation while serving as an advisor in the team
• Build and maintain partnership between our team and teams operating services upstream and downstream
• Establish customer connections and build insights into their business to feed back into design
• Partner with Program Management, architects and leaders to define requirements, scope improvements and validate solutions
• Manage, track and report improvement execution progress
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering or Mathematics or Physics or IT related technical discipline or in place of 3+ years of internship or 3+ years of industry software engineering experience
• 7+ years of programming experience in Java OR C++ OR C# OR C OR object-oriented programming
• Experience with cloud technologies
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Native Windows development experience is a plus
• Understanding of RDBMS concepts and experience with database engines
• Knowledge of how web works (REST API)
• Security concepts (authentication, encryption, certificates, SAML tokens and claims)
• Prior experience in technical leadership role.
• Strong design, implementation and testing skills
• C#, C++, .NET development experience
• Understanding of asynchronous programming, threads, tasks and synchronization primitives Preferred
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check every two years.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.