Washington State Fiscal Analyst 3 / Lead Payroll and Benefits in Olympia, Washington
This posting has been extended beyond the original closing date
Are you ready to work for an agency that does things a bit differently? Here at the Department of Enterprise Services (DES) we are a business driven, customer-focused organization that provides valued products and services to government and state residents. By joining our team, you'll be part of an agency that encourages creativity and is committed to driving innovative solutions that are directly based on customer feedback and insight
A little about us... Our Finance Division directly supports our mission by offering a full line of financial services to both DES employees and approximately 40 Small Agency customers. As a result, small agencies are better able to focus their limited and vital resources on their missions, strategic plans, and most important, their customers. We have a deep understanding of financial best practices and regulatory requirements and are committed to providing efficient, centrally located accounting, budgeting, and payroll services.
WHO we are looking for: We are in need of a Fiscal Analyst 3 that wants a career within state government and a chance to provide meaningful and accurate payroll support to our Small Agency customers. We need someone who has experience in providing payroll services and understands how critical it is to pay employees timely and accurately. You need to have a great personality to provide impeccable customer service to our Small Agencies. You will have a large amount of customers with a wide variety of personalities. You will need to have the ability to focus and use critical thinking skills to find solutions to complex problems. We will keep you busy, so you will need to be great at time management and adhere to strict deadlines to ensure monthly workload is completed and reviewed prior to Fiscal Month end.
YOU* might love this job _IF_:* You are a person who is excited by the opportunity to begin, transfer, or promote into a position with DES. On this team, it's always about improvement. If you are someone who is able to be a positive influence on the team for changes, lead by example, and provide feedback to others on issues or mistakes. Basically, you like to get things done and provide positive change. There is always something to learn, as things are always changing so you will always get to grow!
You enjoy doing MORE? For example, you won't just be doing the "day-to-day" accounting duties. In addition to Payroll Processing, you will get to work with General Ledgers! DES has the luxury of variety of customers. In this position you will problem solve, discuss issues, collaborate with your team. Everyone will learn and grow.
If you are ready for the opportunity to be a part of changing the way we do business in state government, then we encourage you to apply!
This position processes, monitors, and analyzes the routine payroll functions of the Payroll Unit, ensuring all work is processed in compliance with Department of Enterprise Services (DES), Office of the State HR Director (OSHRD), Health Care Authority (HCA), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Office of Financial Management (OFM), and the Department of Retirement System's (DRS) regulations.
The Lead Payroll Analyst reviews and audits the work of other Fiscal Analysts' and assists in training. Special projects may be assigned by supervisor or management. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Auditing and reviewing transactions for accuracy;
- Processing payroll & related reports for client agencies;
- Creating payment and journal vouchers;
- Responding to queries from IRS, OSHRD, HCA, L&I;, SAO, STO and OFM;
- Reconciling the payroll revolving account monthly for all client agencies;
- Processing payroll based on the Collective Bargaining Agreements, Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE), Washington Public Employees Association (WPEA), Revised Code of Washington (RCW), Washington Administrative Code (WAC), and other rules and regulations;
- Entering and or retrieving data into the state's payroll (HRMS), healthcare (PAY1), and retirement systems (WBET);
- Processing shared leave, garnishments, taxable fringe benefits, overpayments, underpayments, health adjustments, and other deductions;
- Analyzing, interpreting, and calculating payroll data adjustments related to IRS levies, wage assignments and deceased employee's benefits;
- Ensuring staff is trained in appropriate payroll methods and procedures; and
- Participating in the monthly payroll staff meetings;
- Participating in quarterly meetings with client agencies.
This position works in a standard office environment using standard office equipment. The typical workweek is Monday - Friday, 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week. Some flexibility may be required to meet business needs.
REQUIRED: A Bachelor's degree, which includes 18 quarter or 12 semester hours in accounting, auditing or budgeting AND Two (2) years of relevant professional experience.
OR Any combination of education and relevant professional experience totaling six (6) years.
Education must include the required credit hours in accounting, auditing or budgeting. *The following certifications may substitute for one year of experience: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Government Financial Manager, or Certified Management Accountant.
- HRMS, AFRS, Enterprise Reporting, WBET, ESS and other accounting systems.
- Reconciliation of the payroll revolving account 035.
- Understanding of state of federal tax requirements, 941's, and L&I; payments.
- Understanding of State policies and laws, i.e., State Administrative and Accounting Manual SAAM), Revised Code of Washington (RCW), and the Washington Administrative Code (WAC).
- Understanding of State retirement plans administered through DRS, i.e., PERS, TERS, etc. Supplemental Information
In addition to completing the online application, applicants must attach the following documents to their profile in order to be considered for this position:
- A letter of interest, describing how you meet the specific qualifications for this position.
- A current resume, detailing experience, and education.
- A list of at least three (3) professional references with current telephone numbers.
Please provide a copy of your transcripts for your degree and/or transcripts that identify and substantiate the required number of accounting classes and credits. PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS COMPLETELY:
A resume will not substitute for completing the "duties summary" section of the application. Responses to the supplemental questionnaire regarding work experience must be reflected in the "duties summary" section of the application.
- By submitting materials you are indicating that all information is true and correct. The state may verify information. Any untruthful or misleading information is cause for removal from the applicant pool or dismissal if employed.
- Prior to any new appointment into the Department of Enterprise Services, a background check will be conducted.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and wish to claim Veteran's Preference MUST attach a copy of their DD214, or other verification of military service. Please black out any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers.
*For additional information on Veteran's Preference and guidance on how to determine if you are eligible, *click here.
_We thank you and are grateful for your service
Should you have any questions regarding this position or the online application, contact Angie Anderson at (360) 407-8446 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
*The State of Washington is an equal opportunity employer. Persons with a disability who need assistance with their application or that need this announcement in an alternative format, may call (360) 664-1960 or toll free (877) 664-1960. TTY users should first call 711 to access the *Washington Relay Service.
Salary: $3,612.00 - $4,737.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Enterprise Services
Job Number: 2017-FIN-030
Closing: 10/25/2017 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact