Washington State Executive Director Board of Engineers and Land Surveyors - Exempt Band 2 in Olympia, Washington
Executive Director (Board of Engineers and Land Surveyors) Exempt Thurston County – Olympia
Please Note:Application assessment will begin on April 24, 2017. The hiring authority reserves the right and may exercise the option to make a hiring decision at any time. It will be to the applicants' advantage to submit materials as soon as possible.
The Department of Licensing (DOL) impacts more citizens directly than any other state agency. With a strong commitment to great service, we advance public safety and consumer protection through licensing, regulation and education, and we collect revenue that supports our state's transportation system.
Within the Business & Professions Division(BPD), The Regulatory Board Section (RBS) engages roughly 239,000 community partners to ensure the safe, appropriate and informed operation of businesses within Washington State. As the Executive Director for the Board of Engineers and Land Surveyors you will serve as the executive officer for the Board, focusing on strategic planning, budgeting, application and interpretations of statue and rules, authorship and interpretations of administrative code and development of Board policy. Internally, you will support your team to ensure they are provided the needed tools and resources in order to oversee licensure and regulatory actions. Externally, you will develop strong partnerships with Board members to enhance the work of the agency, including policy development and adjudicative responsibilities, helping to set standards for accurate credentialing, and ensuring administrative actions and sanctions are responsible, consistent and comply with the principles of due process. Understanding complex issues, using independent judgment to determine program impact and course of action, and leading the Board through changes due to legislation, organizational or industry trends; the successful candidate will operate with the highest level of diplomacy and professionalism.
*What you will do: *
- Direct the activities and efforts of the program to achieve successful execution of the Board's mission in providing for long-term plans and strategies on the delivery of the products and services required by law, the business environment and the consumer protection interest.
- Assess the fiscal activities associated with the programs' one million dollar spending per biennium including vendor contracting, Board and staff travel, Board meeting locations and frequency, exam development and administration, and selection of subject matter experts to support investigation and adjudicative functions.
- Establish agendas and organize content for all Board meetings and ensure the Board receives the support and data they need.
- Provide interpretation, presentations and explanations, orally and in writing, to state citizens, public and elected officials, licensees and applicants, state and local governing agencies.
- Responsible to critique outside legislative proposals that make changes to chapter 18.43 RCW and title 196 WAC. Works with the board to draft rule proposals that make changes to title 196 WAC.
- Give interpretations of Board law and rules based upon historical Board actions, case and administrative law, advice by AGO and guidance of Board members.
- Use understanding of historical and trending complex issues of the Board to render judgment in determining program policy, strategic direction, outcome objectives and quality improvements.
- Oversee staff work with stakeholder groups on industry issues, providing guidance in approach, group direction, meeting agendas, and political sensitivities, Work directly with stakeholders as issues arise.
- Coordinate staff support for Board outreach activities.
Why work at DOL? We are leading the efforts to building a culture where employees are:
- Excited to come to work
- Valued for their skills and talents
- Included in process improvements that impact their work
- Trusted to make decisions
- Empowered to fix what bugs them
- Creating more value for our customers
- Helping build trust in government
Find out what OUR OWN have to say about our Culture and Diversity*!*
_What we are looking for: _
- Experience working for or within a profession subject to a regulatory and enforcement program
- Familiarity with the engineering, land surveying and onsite wastewater designer professions or the related licensing laws and rules for WA State
- Experience in defining and applying organizational policy directives that can impact the public or industry groups
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Personnel management skills
- Knowledge of state legislative process and protocols and agency rule making
- Experience managing a budget
- Experience in managing a major program, project or board or commission
_Our ideal candidate will also have: _
- A Bachelor's degree in engineering or land surveying, business, public administration, or other related fields
- Hold a license or be eligible to become licensed as either an engineer or land surveyor
- Project management experience
- Experience in public speaking before varied audiences
- Skilled in negotiation and consensus building
- Skilled in use of MS office systems
*How to Apply: * To be considered for this vacancy, please select the large Apply button at the top of this job announcement. If you haven't already done so, you will need to create an applicant profile and include the following information:
- A letter of interest clearly addressing your interest in the specific position and demonstrating attention to detail (please attach as individual file).
- Your chronological résumé depicting work experience and/or education (please attach as individual file).
- A list of at least 3 professional references including names, professional titles, and current phone numbers (attach as individual file or as a part of the resume).
Only candidates who reflect the minimum qualifications on their State application (the work history portion of your application, not the attached resume) will be considered. Failure to follow the above application instructions may lead to your disqualification.
*If you have questions about the process, or need assistance, please contact the recruiter listed below before the posting closes and before you submit your application. *
*PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING: * To take advantage of veteran's preference, please do the following:
- Email DD214 (Member 4 copy), NGB 22 or signed verification of service letter from USDVA
- Use a subject line of "Executive Director".
- Include your name in the message as it appears on the application you submitted through the careers.wa.gov system.
- Send to HrRecruit@dol.wa.gov The candidate pool certified from this recruitment may be used to fill future similar vacancies for up to six months.
Contact us: * For inquiries about this position, please contact *Ellis Starrettat 360-902-4091 or email EStarrett@DOL.WA.GOV*.* Please reference recruitment number 17-063.
**Persons under final consideration for initial appointment with DOL are subject to a background check.__
The Washington State Department of Licensing is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex (including gender identity), marital status, sexual orientation, race, creed, color, national origin, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process, during the recruitment process, or who need this job announcement in an alternative format, may contact the Human Resources Office at 360-902-4000 or may email HRRecruit@dol.wa.gov. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call our ASL interpreter via Video Phone at 360.339.7344.
Salary: $77,000.00 - $93,000.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Licensing
Job Number: 17-063
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact