Washington State DSHS Juvenile Rehabilitation Counselor Assistant in East Wenatchee, Washington
You can make a real difference in the lives of at-risk youth when you join our dedicated team at Canyon View Community Facility that serves male clients. You provide gender specific comprehensive case management, and transition planning and counseling and treatment services that prepare them to return to their homes and communities. Process an assigned caseload of 1-2 youth offenders committed to Juvenile Rehabilitation care by the juvenile courts. You will be responsible for supervising residents in daily living routine, chores and activities, and track and monitor youth for compliance and program requirements.
Some of what you will do:
- Assist residential counselors in providing supervision and services to youth and their families
- Engage with youth to de-escalate behavior techniques and redirect/teach youth toward and engage them in pro-social behavior
- Partnering with counselors, teach and reinforce skills used in real life scenarios with families and in the community
- Support and monitor youth participation in appropriate treatment services
- Perform routine security duties, including maintaining order in a group setting
- Serve as back-up for residential counselors and respond to emergent situations
- With residential counselors, assess youth behavior for risk to self and others
- Participate in movement of residents within the facility and in the community
- Transport residents to activities to support their transition back to the community
- Interview and administer/interpret screening tools and assessments to determine risk, required level of care/supervision and referral for necessary services.
- Identify and prioritize treatment needs; formulate and implement appropriate treatment plans.
- Prepare youth and their families for transition back to the community.
- Model pro-social adaptive behavior.
- Maintain safety and security within a juvenile justice treatment milieu.
- Perform routine security duties including headcounts, living unit building security checks, key control, room searches for contraband, person searches.
- Supervise and assign chores within a living unit.
Supervise and serve meals to resident groups; monitor movement of residents; transport youth to community appointments as necessary. What we are looking for:
Demonstrate understanding of adolescent development and Juvenile Justice and rehabilitation practices and principals
- Experience providing dialectical behavior therapeutic interventions
- Demonstrate competency in relating to clients from diverse backgrounds and cultural groups
- Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences related to juvenile delinquency.
- Ability to use verbal de-escalation and physical control techniques approved for intervention with verbally and physically aggressive youth.
Who should apply: Professionals with a Bachelor's degree OR Two years of college education and two years of experience in casework, counseling, probation and parole, social services, planning, directing or facilitating youth group activities, or experience in a related field OR Two years of college education and two years of experience as Juvenile Rehabilitation Security Officer.
Questions? Please contact DSHS Recruiter and reference job number 09425.
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history may be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the job. This announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies. Employees driving on state business must have a valid driver's license. Employees driving a privately owned vehicle on state business must have liability insurance on the privately owned vehicle.
Washington State Department of Social & Health Services is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, marital status, race, creed, color, national origin, religion or beliefs, political affiliation, military status, honorably discharged veteran, Vietnam Era, recently separated or other protected veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental, physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability, equal pay or genetic information. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the Recruiter at (360) 725-5810. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6384.
Salary: $2,974.00 - $3,795.00 Monthly
Location: Douglas County - East Wenatchee, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Social and Health Services
Job Number: 2017-09425
Closing: 10/22/2017 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact