Enter the base name or location (i.e. "North Carolina" or "Pearl Harbor")
|Army||Air Force||Coast Guard||Navy||Marines|
Job Location US-DC-Washington
Division Information Technology
Type Regular Full-Time
* Apply for this job online
* Email this job to a friend
More information about this job:
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. Innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
The Network Engineer’s role is to ensure the stability and integrity of NPR’s network, including data and wireless network services. This is achieved by planning, designing, and developing local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs) across the organization. In addition, the Network Engineer will participate with the installation, monitoring, maintenance, support, and optimization of all network hardware, software, and communication links. This individual will also analyze and resolve network hardware and software problems in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide training to junior staff.
Essential Duties Include:
Provide detailed network planning, design, and implementation of networking infrastructure and technologies
* Support current operating environment and implement necessary upgrades and enhancements
* Translate business and operational requirements into supportable networking solutions
* Monitor network performance and troubleshoot problem areas as needed
* Provide network performance statistics and reports
* Create and maintain documentation as it relates to network configuration, network mapping, processes, and service records
* Develop, implement and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for network administration, usage, and disaster recovery
* Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the networking industry
* Participate in an on-call rotation for non-business hours support
* Interact with vendors and contractors to secure network products and services
* Share information and knowledge to assist others within the organization
Formal Education & Certification
* Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in networking or computer science. Bachelor’s degree may be substituted by advanced technical proficiency in the areas of network design, planning and implementation.
* Multiple industry certifications appropriate to the field of the concentration of major duties performed
* Preferred: CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional) credentials
Knowledge & Experience
* 4-6 years of relevant work experience
* Experience in datacenters supporting server virtualization, campus/metro networks, and enterprise WANs
* Experience with design and implementation of IP Telephony and VOIP technologies is desired
* Experience with network capacity planning, network security principles, and general network management best practices
* Experience with a majority of network hardware including; Cisco ASR1000 and 3900 series routers; Nexus 7000, 5000 and 2000 switches, Catalyst 6500, 4500, and 3750 switches; ASA firewalls and VPN remote access/site to site VPN
* Experience with FabricPath, vPC, FCoE,VSAN and Zoning preferred
* Experience with Multicast protocols IGMP, PIM, AutoRP, BSR and MSDP preferred
* Experience with load balancers and WAN accelerators (Riverbeds, F5, Netscalers)
* Experience with troubleshooting at all levels (e.g. physical cabling, spanning tree or VLAN issues, routing problems, firewall/NAT rules, etc.)
* Experience with network related software such as Cisco ACS, NetMRI and Solarwinds Orion, Cisco ISE
* Experience with Wireless LAN Controller (e.g. 5508) , MSE and WCS
* Experience with QoS, i.e CoS, IP Prec, DSCP and AutoQoS
* Experience with research and evaluation of new and/or alternative solutions and technologies to enhance operational effectiveness
* Experience creating detailed systems documentation
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
* Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
Do you ‘Like’ us? Follow us on Facebook atThis Is NPR. You can also follow us on Twitter at@NPRjobs, as well as#NPRlifefor 'behind the scenes' tweets about life at NPR from our employees.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employerthat affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.